Blackstone Private Credit Fund (BCRED)
Institutional-caliber private credit solution for income-focused investors
BCRED: Pairing Performance and Defense
BCRED can be an opportunity to realize robust returns and protect against downside risk. Brad Marshall, Chairman & Co-CEO of BCRED, believes BCRED could be a core position within investors’ portfolios.
Positioned for Today’s Market Environment
We believe BCRED’s portfolio is well-positioned defensively to successfully navigate this current environment of uncertainty. Leveraging the breadth of the broader Blackstone Credit platform, we view this period of market disruption as an opportunity to deploy capital and seek to generate current income.
BCRED’s nearly 100% floating rate portfolio can be favorable as rates rise, and its focus on senior secured loans at the top of the capital structure offers the potential for additional protection during periods of market uncertainty.
Three Reasons to Consider BCRED Now
Jonathan Bock, the new co-CEO of BCRED, reviews how private credit’s defensive traits may help preserve wealth and capture opportunities in today’s challenging market environment.(2)
BCRED: Recognized by Private Debt Investor(3)
Investing for income
Seeking to generate income in a rising rate environment
As of April 30, 2023. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. Total Net Return is calculated as the change in NAV per share during the period, plus distributions per share (assuming dividends and distributions are reinvested) divided by the beginning NAV per share. Returns greater than one year are annualized. All returns shown are derived from unaudited financial information and are net of all BCRED expenses, including general and administrative expenses, transaction related expenses, management fees, incentive fees, and share class specific fees, but exclude the impact of early repurchase deductions on the repurchase of shares that have been outstanding for less than one year. Past performance is historical and not a guarantee of future results. Class D and Class S listed as (With Upfront Placement Fee) reflect the returns after the maximum upfront placement fees (1.5% Class D and 3.5% for Class S). Class D and Class S listed as (No Upfront Placement Fee or Brokerage Commissions) exclude upfront placement fees. Class I does not have upfront placement fees. The returns have been prepared using unaudited data and valuations of the underlying investments in BCRED’s portfolio, which are estimates of fair value and form the basis for BCRED’s NAV. Valuations based upon unaudited reports from the underlying investments may be subject to later adjustments, may not correspond to realized value and may not accurately reflect the price at which assets could be liquidated.
The Humble Power of Partnership & Productivity
When it comes to building, maintaining, and executing a defense-first strategy, we believe deep relationships and operating expertise are at the heart of how Blackstone Credit partners with its portfolio companies.
Private credit has historically provided investors with higher yields
The asset class is gaining attention and has become a rapidly growing segment of credit markets(7)
Source: Morningstar, Cliffwater Direct Lending Index, Morningstar LSTA US Leveraged Loan Index. As of December 31, 2022.
Average Realized Loss
(2006 – 2022)
Average realized loss is the historical average of the realized gains/losses for the Cliffwater Direct Lending Index. Source: Cliffwater. As of December 31, 2022.
Average Loss Rates
(2006 – 2022)
Average loss rate is calculated by taking the default rate * (1 – recovery rate). Source: JPM Default Monitor. As of December 31, 2022.
(i) Indices. “Private Credit” is represented by the Cliffwater Direct Lending Index. “Senior Loans” is represented by the Morningstar LSTA US Leveraged Loan Index. “High Yield” is represented by the Bloomberg High Yield Index. The indices presented (excluding Private Credit) represent investments that have material differences from an investment in BCRED or the investments that BCRED may make.
(ii) Investments/Risks. BCRED expects to invest primarily in loans to private U.S. companies similar to those represented in the Private Credit index and therefore will face risks similar to those facing the assets represented by that index. BCRED’s investments and Private Credit assets are expected to face risks different than those faced by the other indices, including significantly less liquidity as Private Credit assets generally do not have liquid markets and greater risk of default and related risk of loss of principal. BCRED may also invest in instruments not represented by Private Credit or the other indices above, including equities, preferred securities or non-U.S. securities (including non-U.S. dollar denominated instruments), among others, and therefore is subject to additional risks, such as increased volatility, currency risk, risk of regulation or foreign market events.
(iii) Fees and Expenses. An investment in BCRED is subject to fees and expenses, which will lower BCRED’s returns. The indices presented are not subject to fees or expenses and it is not possible to directly invest in any index presented.
(iv) Use of Leverage. Unlike the indices presented, BCRED will employ leverage, which will increase the volatility of BCRED’s investments and will magnify the potential for loss of amounts invested in BCRED.
For more information on these indices, please see the Index Definitions section at the bottom of this page. For a more detailed description of BCRED’s investment guidelines and risk factors, please refer to BCRED’s prospectus. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results, and there can be no assurance that Blackstone Credit will achieve comparable results or that Blackstone Credit will be able to implement its investment strategy or achieve its investment objectives. Portfolio diversification does not guarantee profit or protect against loss. For more information, please see additional disclosures at the bottom of this page.
Supported by one of the largest credit managers
Blackstone Credit differentiates itself through its experienced team, expertise across credit markets, and deep origination platform
“BCRED taps into opportunities across Blackstone’s credit capabilities to provide a potential defensive income solution.“DWIGHT SCOTT
Global Head of Blackstone Credit
BCRED Literature and Resources
Get started with BCRED
Data is as of April 30, 2023, unless otherwise indicated. Returns for periods greater than one year are annualized. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results and there can be no assurance that the fund will achieve results to those of any of Blackstone Credit’s prior funds or be able to implement its strategy or achieve its investment objectives, including due to an inability to access sufficient investment opportunities.
- Annualized Distributed Yield reflects May’s distribution annualized and divided by last reported NAV from April. Distributions are not guaranteed. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. Distributions have been and may in the future be funded through sources other than cash flow. See BCRED’s prospectus. Please visit the Shareholders page for notices regarding distributions subject to Section 19(a) of the Investment Company Act of 1940. We cannot guarantee that we will make distributions, and if we do we may fund such distributions from sources other than cash flow from operations, including the sale of assets, borrowings, return of capital, or offering proceeds, and although we generally expect to fund distributions from cash flow from operations, we have not established limits on the amounts we may pay from such sources. As of April 30, 2023, 100% of inception to date distributions were funded from cash flows from operations. A return of capital (1) is a return of the original amount invested, (2) does not constitute earnings or profits and (3) will have the effect of reducing the basis such that when a shareholder sells its shares the sale may be subject to taxes even if the shares are sold for less than the original purchase price. Distributions may also be funded in significant part, directly or indirectly, from temporary waivers or expense reimbursements borne by Blackstone Credit BDC Advisors LLC (the “Adviser”) or its affiliates, that may be subject to reimbursement to the Adviser or its affiliates. The repayment of any amounts owed to our affiliates will reduce future distributions to which you would otherwise be entitled.
- Blackstone products are subject to the risk of capital loss and investors may not get back the amount originally invested.
- Awarded by Private Debt Investor on March 1, 2022, covering the 2021 calendar year. Private Debt Investor has subsequently released awards for the 2022 calendar year, in which Blackstone received different awards than those listed herein. Blackstone has provided compensation to Private Debt Investor for the ability to communicate the results of this award. The awards described above may not be representative of any one client’s experience with Blackstone Credit and should not be viewed as indicative of future performance. The awards herein were provided by Private Debt Investor, a publication addressing private credit markets, and covered the 2021 calendar year only. Private Debt Investor determines its industry awards annually by way of nominations and an online reader poll that prompts readers to vote for a particular firm in one or more of multiple enumerated categories, including those shown above and therefore is based on subjective criteria. In addition, their selection to receive the awards and/or their rankings may have been based on a limited universe of participants, and therefore there can be no assurance that a different sampling of participants might not have achieved different results.
- Distributions are not guaranteed. Distributions have been and may in the future be funded through sources other than cash flow from operations, including the sale of assets, borrowings, return of capital or offering proceeds. As of April 30, 2023, 100% of inception to date distributions were funded from cash flows from operations. See “Important Disclosure Information” at the beginning of this presentation and BCRED’s prospectus.
- Quarterly tender offers are expected but not guaranteed. See “Important Disclosure Information” and BCRED’s prospectus.
- Total Net Return is calculated as the change in NAV per share during the period, plus distributions per share (assuming dividends and distributions are reinvested) divided by the beginning NAV per share. Returns greater than one year are annualized. All returns are derived from unaudited financial information and are net of all BCRED expenses, including general and administrative expenses, transaction related expenses, management fees, incentive fees, and share class specific fees, but exclude the impact of early repurchase deductions on the repurchase of shares that have been outstanding for less than one year. Past performance is historical and not a guarantee of future results. Class D and Class S listed as (With Upfront Placement Fee) reflect the returns after the maximum upfront placement fees. Class D and Class S listed as (No Upfront Placement Fee) exclude upfront placement fees. Class I does not have upfront placement fees. The returns have been prepared using unaudited data and valuations of the underlying investments in BCRED’s portfolios which are estimates of fair value and form the basis for BCRED’s NAV. Valuations based on unaudited reports from the underlying investments may be subject to later adjustments, may not correspond to realized value and may not accurately reflect the price at which assets could be liquidated.
- Bloomberg Businessweek, “How Private Credit Soared to Fuel Private Equity Boom,” September 22, 2019.
Important Disclosure Information
Local, regional, or global events such as war (e.g., Russia/Ukraine), acts of terrorism, public health issues like pandemics or epidemics (e.g., COVID-19), recessions, or other economic, political and global macro factors and events could lead to a substantial economic downturn or recession in the U.S. and global economies and have a significant impact on the Fund and its investments. The recovery from such downturns is uncertain and may last for an extended period of time or result in significant volatility, and many of the risks discussed herein associated with an investment in the Fund may be increased.
Summary of Risk Factors
Blackstone Private Credit Fund (“BCRED”) is a non-exchange traded business development company (“BDC”) that expects to invest at least 80% of its total assets (net assets plus borrowings for investment purposes) in private credit investments (loans, bonds and other credit instruments that are issued in private offerings or issued by private companies). This investment involves a high degree of risk. You should purchase these securities only if you can afford the complete loss of your investment. You should read the prospectus carefully for a description of the risks associated with an investment in BCRED. These risks include, but are not limited to, the following:
- We have limited prior operating history and there is no assurance that we will achieve our investment objectives.
- This is a “blind pool” offering and thus you will not have the opportunity to evaluate our investments before we make them.
- You should not expect to be able to sell your shares regardless of how we perform.
- You should consider that you may not have access to the money you invest for an extended period of time.
- We do not intend to list our shares on any securities exchange, and we do not expect a secondary market in our shares to develop prior to any listing.
- Because you may be unable to sell your shares, you will be unable to reduce your exposure in any market downturn.
- We have implemented a share repurchase program, but only a limited number of shares will be eligible for repurchase and repurchases will be subject to available liquidity and other significant restrictions.
- An investment in our common shares is not suitable for you if you need access to the money you invest. See “Suitability Standards” and “Share Repurchase Program” in the prospectus.
- You will bear substantial fees and expenses in connection with your investment. See “Fees and Expenses” in the prospectus.
- We cannot guarantee that we will make distributions, and if we do, we may fund such distributions from sources other than cash flow from operations, including the sale of assets, borrowings, return of capital or offering proceeds, and although we generally expect to fund distributions from cash flow from operations, we have not established limits on the amounts we may pay from such sources. A return of capital (1) is a return of the original amount invested, (2) does not constitute earnings or profits and (3) will have the effect of reducing the basis such that when a shareholder sells its shares the sale may be subject to taxes even if the shares are sold for less than the original purchase price.
- Distributions may also be funded in significant part, directly or indirectly, from temporary waivers or expense reimbursements borne by Blackstone Credit BDC Advisers (the “Adviser”) or its affiliates, that may be subject to reimbursement to the Adviser or its affiliates. The repayment of any amounts owed to our affiliates will reduce future distributions to which you would otherwise be entitled.
- We use and continue to expect to use leverage, which will magnify the potential for loss on amounts invested in us.
- We intend to invest in securities that are rated below investment grade by rating agencies or that would be rated below investment grade if they were rated. Below investment grade securities, which are often referred to as “junk,” have predominantly speculative characteristics with respect to the issuer’s capacity to pay interest and repay principal. They may also be illiquid and difficult to value.
- We do not own the Blackstone name, but we are permitted to use it as part of our corporate name pursuant to the investment advisory agreement between BCRED and an affiliate of Blackstone Inc. (“Blackstone”). Use of the name by other parties or the termination of the use of the Blackstone name under the investment advisory agreement may harm our business.
Neither the Securities and Exchange Commission nor any state securities regulator has approved or disapproved of these securities or determined if the prospectus is truthful or complete. Any representation to the contrary is unlawful.
This website must be read in conjunction with the BCRED prospectus in order to fully understand all the implications and risks of an investment in BCRED. This website is neither an offer to sell nor a solicitation of an offer to buy securities. An offering is made only by the prospectus, which must be made available to you prior to making a purchase of shares in connection with this offering and is available at https://www.bcred.com/prospectus. Prior to making an investment, investors should read the prospectus, including the “Risk Factors” section therein, which contains a discussion of the risks and uncertainties that we believe are material to our business, operating results, prospects and financial condition.
Numerical data is approximate and as of April 30, 2023, unless otherwise noted. The words “we”, “us”, and “our” refer to BCRED, unless the context requires otherwise.
Forward-Looking Statement Disclosure
Certain information contained in this communication constitutes “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the federal securities laws and the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements can be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology, such as “outlook,” “indicator,” “believes,” “expects,” “potential,” “continues,” “may,” “can,” “will,” “should,” “seeks,” “approximately,” “predicts,” “intends,” “plans,” “estimates,” “anticipates”, “confident,” “conviction,” “identified” or the negative versions of these words or other comparable words thereof. These may include BCRED’s financial estimates and their underlying assumptions, statements about plans, objectives and expectations with respect to future operations, statements regarding future performance, statements regarding economic and market trends and statements regarding identified but not yet closed investments. Such forward‐looking statements are inherently subject to various risks and uncertainties. Accordingly, there are or will be important factors that could cause actual outcomes or results to differ materially from those indicated in such statements. BCRED believes these factors include but are not limited to those described under the section entitled “Risk Factors” in its prospectus and annual report for the most recent fiscal year, and any such updated factors included in its periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”), which are accessible on the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov. These factors should not be construed as exhaustive and should be read in conjunction with the other cautionary statements that are included in this document (or BCRED’s prospectus and other filings). Except as otherwise required by federal securities laws, BCRED undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future developments or otherwise.
Blackstone Securities Partners L.P. (“BSP”) is a member of FINRA and is a broker-dealer whose purpose is to distribute Blackstone managed or affiliated products. BSP provides services to its Blackstone affiliates, not to investors in its funds, strategies or other products. BSP does not make any recommendation regarding, and will not monitor, any investment. As such, when BSP presents an investment strategy or product to an investor, BSP does not collect the information necessary to determine—and BSP does not engage in a determination regarding—whether an investment in the strategy or product is in the best interests of, or is suitable for, the investor. You should exercise your own judgment and/or consult with a professional advisor to determine whether it is advisable for you to invest in any Blackstone strategy or product. Please note that BSP may not provide the kinds of financial services that you might expect from another financial intermediary, such as overseeing any brokerage or similar account. For financial advice relating to an investment in any Blackstone strategy or product, contact your own professional advisor.
The Cliffwater Direct Lending Index (CDLI) seeks to measure the unlevered, gross of fee performance of US middle market corporate loans, as represented by the asset-weighted performance of the underlying assets of Business Development Companies (BDCs), including both exchange-traded and unlisted BDCs, subject to certain eligibility requirements.
Morningstar LSTA US Leveraged Loan Index is a market value-weighted index designed to measure the performance of the US leveraged loan market based upon market weightings, spreads and interest payments.
Bloomberg US Corporate High Yield Index measures the USD-denominated, high yield, fixed-rate corporate bond market. Securities are classified as high yield if the middle rating of Moody’s, Fitch and S&P is Ba1/BB+/BB+ or below.
Bloomberg US Treasury Index is a rules-based, market-value weighted index engineered to measure the performance and characteristics of fixed rate coupon US Treasuries which have a maturity greater than 12 months. To be included in the index a security must have a minimum par amount of $1 billion.
Bloomberg US Aggregate Bond Index represents securities that are SEC-registered, taxable, and dollar denominated. The index covers the US investment grade fixed rate bond market, with index components for government and corporate securities, mortgage pass-through securities, and asset-backed securities. These major sectors are subdivided into more specific indices that are calculated and reported on a regular basis.
Index Comparison. The volatility and risk profile of the indices presented in this document is likely to be materially different from that of the Fund. In addition, the indices employ different investment guidelines and criteria than the Fund and do not employ leverage; as a result, the holdings in the Fund and the liquidity of such holdings may differ significantly from the securities that comprise the indices. The indices are not subject to fees or expenses and it may not be possible to invest in the indices. A summary of the investment guidelines for the indices presented are available upon request.